On 12/12/2011 7:39 πμ, Robert Huff wrote:
Michael Powell writes:

  Csup is a rewrite of cvsup in the C language, and as such can be
  included as part of the base operating system. It is only linked
  against a few system libraries. This also means it can be built
  using the same tools and system compiler whenever the system
  itself is updated.

  Csup is faster, built-in, and has no third party
  dependencies. Theoretically it should have less potential for
  problems. Cvsup is a third party port, which itself depends on
  other third party ports.
        I believe there are a couple of obscure functionalities that
cvsup has that csup does not.  If you're asking this question, you
(probably) don't have to worry about them.
        For the general user, csup is a drop-in replacement.  My
expereince - as a general user - supports this.

                        Robert Huff

It used to be (some versions ago) that csup only handled checkout mode and not CVS mode (that is, a mode of operation that allows you to mirror a complete CVS repository which in effect allows you to checkout and commit locally to your copy). This was for me the only reason to keep cvsup around. But csup has caught up with this functionality eliminating the need to install and use cvsup, esp. since csup is part of the base system.