Am 12.12.2011, 13:22 Uhr, schrieb Tomasz Kowalczyk <kowalczf...@gmail.com>:

On Monday 12 of December 2011 06:31:46 Michael Ross wrote:
Hello,

I am ... stuck.

I've been trying to setup mercurials web frontend with apache,
but apache won't start python.
Not as cgi-script, not with mod_python.

Investigating, I found this not only to be a problem with apache.

Situation now:
Users "michael" and "root" can run python.
All others can't:

        Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
        Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
        Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
        ImportError: No module named site

For troubleshooting, I cloned "michael" to an new user "dummy",
i. e. I created the user, copied all .dotfiles from "michael" over,
adjusted permissions.
"dummy" can't start python either.

Is user 'dummy' in same groups that 'michael' is ?

No, it wasn't. I forgot to add it to the "wheel" group. ("Missing something obvious" alright).

I think it can be something with permissions, maybe files in
/local/lib/python2.7/ got strange permissions ?

That was it: /usr/local/lib/python2.7 was chmodded 770.
No idea why.

Thanks!

Basically module 'site' (site.py in detail) is loaded by interpreter on early
start, so if it can't read it , python will raise this error.