On Sat, 24 Dec 2011, Matthew Luckie wrote:

However, when I use cu on the laptop:

sudo cu -l /dev/cuaU0 -s 9600

I never get a login prompt. If I press enter, the cursor scrolls down. Likewise other characters echo back. I'm reasonably sure that I'm connected to the appropriate com port on the server because if I plug it into the other com port and press enter, nothing happens.

Might there be something else on the server using/trying to use that com port at the same time, like apcupsd?

Running cu on the server (after resetting the config) would allow manually typing characters to see if they come out of the right port.