On 12/24/2011 4:47 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
 From owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org  Sat Dec 24 16:58:02 2011
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 14:35:35 -0800
From: Drew Tomlinson<d...@mykitchentable.net>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: FreeBSD 8 LiveFS - How To Start SSHD?

I've lost a drive in my FBSD 8.? box.  I have a FBSD 8.1 LiveFS CD from
which I've booted.  I'd like to get sshd running so I can connect
remotely and have the ability to browse, copy/paste, etc. while I see
what I might be able to salvage before replacing my drive.

I've found these directions:

http://wiki.ggis.biz/index.php/Recover_Using_LiveFS

I can do the "Configure the network connection", the  "setup login shell
for root", and the "Prepare SSH" part.  However the "Enable, configure,
and start sshd" part doesn't seem to apply and really doesn't make sense.

Bottom line is that after running /mnt2/use/sbin/sshd, I can see the
process in ps output.  However when I attempt to connect to sshd as
root, my connection is immediately closed.  I'm thinking it's a
PermitRootLogin yes issue and I'm missing something but I've read and
re-read that section and verified that /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains
PermitRootLogin yes.
If it happens -before- getting the login prompt, it is *NOT* a PermitRootLogin
isssue.  If you get the login prompt, put in 'root', and are -then- cut off
it is a root login issue.

Immediate connect and disconnect points to an issue with the IP address
you're connecting from -- as sshd (or possibly tcpwrapper) sees it, that is.
could be "no reverse-DNS", or inconsistent forward/reverse.  Could be that
the address/domain is blocked in /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}

Thank you. Seems I had to restart sshd to get it to read hosts.allow? I didn't think that would be the case but it worked.

Now I am having a PermitRootLogin issue because it's happening after the login prompt. Another poster also suggested "ssh -vv" which I ran locally on the LiveFS machine and it confirm that the connection is closed after public key auth fails and it moves to keyboard-interactive.

Don't know what to try next. Seems that I can only kill sshd by rebooting. It ignores "kill -15" or "kill -9" commands.

Thanks for your help.

Drew

--
Like card tricks?