Jan Grant wrote:

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

Hi,

I am repeating the post below, because it obviously hasn't made it to
the list (at least i did not get it back from the list).

Can someone please give me some advice, because i will be setting up the
discs today.

Thank you

Hi,

I am going to set up a RAID 0 array with two 250G drives, making 500G.
Which newfs parameters would you recommend for it?

As many cylinders per group as possible. I think newfs has an "infinity" setting to pick the right number.

I am afraid of ending up with a fs with Gigs of space and no inodes
left, or a fs that is heavily fragmented and slow.
Reading the newfs manpage didn't quit help me, it explains all switches
The files on the volume will be 2 MB average.

There's a "bytes per inode" setting that you can plug this figure into.
You might want to be a little more generous with inodes than that (give
yourself some elbow room). You need inodes for symlinks and directories
too.

Thank you for your reply. I have reread the manpage and would go for: - blocksize => 64 kB - fragsize => 64/8 => 8 kB - bytes/inode => 16 kB

Are these values reasonable or should i use higher values (because the disk is so large?)

Heinrich