On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:25:42 +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 30/01/2012 13:57, hvn wrote:
>> Using v.FreeBSD 8.2, I'm trying to install Firefox 9 by pkg_add -r
>> firefox. According to the docs, this should work. However, instead of
>> v9 it tries to install v 3.6 which goes wrong because of dependency
>> conflicts. Any idea on how to solve this or what goes wrong?
>
> What FTP URL are you connecting to in order to download the firefox
> package?  Firefox 9.0 postdates FreeBSD 8.2 release, so it won't be in
> the packages-8.2-release collection:

The FTP URL is ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-
release/Latest/
So this effectively means I should upgrade or do a clean install. I did
try to install PC-BSD 9 on an x64, but the BIOS somehow doesn't like the
partitioning. This 8.2 runs on an old PIII with 500 MB RAM (xfce), so not
really suitable for demanding stuff.