At 19:16 01/02/2012, David Jackson wrote:

They seem to have failed because they couldn't find the package on the
download site. Other errors I got were that the package it had downloaded
had an "unrecognized format".

I did not save them, there is really no way to save a copy of them unless I
copy them by hand. I will have to rerun the commands to get the error
messages and then transfer them by hand.

In my first mail i didn't think about this, but:

In your OP you don't say the version of FreeBSD you're running. Show a uname -a please. Is it a RELEASE, like 8.2-RELEASEpx? If it's a RELEASE perhaps you don't know that the packages are frozen but all are known to work without problems. Switch to -STABLE if you want access newer packages but perhaps there will be problems with them from time to time. Check -stable maillist.

HTH