From: "Erich Dollansky" <erichfreebsdl...@ovitrap.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 2, 2012 11:44 pm
Subject: Possible move back to FreeBSD
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc: "Chris" <rac...@makeworld.com>

Hi,

On Friday 03 February 2012 12:34:57 Chris wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been using Debian for a few years now (previous BSD user) and I'm
> considering moving back.
>
> Admittedly, I have gotten used to the simplicity of using apt-get to update
> the system.
>
> What will pull me back is if there is an equivalent to use. I do not intend
> on custom kernels, and I don't intend on using ports (it was the many hours
> spent keeping the ports tree current along with installed ports).

how about pkg_add?

It installs a binary version of the port directly on your machine. As long as
the binary exists, there is no problem. I experienced in very rare cases that a
package was not available at the moment I needed at the server I used for
downloading. Then, I used the ports as a backup.

Erich