On 2012.02.15 19:19, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:23:21 -0500
Steve Bertrand<steve.bertr...@gmail.com>  wrote:

On 2012.02.15 17:57, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them
seem to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU
hog, and once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.

I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable
it.  I can't even figure out where exactly it's being started
from.  Whether it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some
add-on tool somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain
don't want it!  :-)

Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this
one.

Is there anything in /etc/rc.conf relating to this server?

Well, naturally, that was the first place I checked, along with
probing /usr/local/etc, but no, I don't see any signs of anything
anywhere that could be causing this thing to run.  Nothing helpful
in the package's plist, either.  Undoubtedly, one of its REQUIRED_BYs
is responsible, but none of them are making it easy to track down.
It's really quite maddening.

This thing is a persistent little bugger, I tell ya.  I've tried
manually killing it repeatedly, using various signals, and it just
keeps resurrecting itself immediately, sometimes in even higher
numbers, like some evil being in a horror movie.  Kill one, and two
or more spring up in its place.  It's *evil*, I tell ya!  :-)

Well, where there's a will, there's a way.  I'll get to the bottom of
this eventually.  I would just uninstall it, but then it will most
likely be automatically reinstalled, too, when I upgrade something that
depends on it.  As Caiaphas sang in his menacing basso voice in "Jesus
Christ Superstar", "We need a more permanent solution to our problem".
:-)

lol :) I figured you've checked there, but one never knows. I've never heard such of a rogue problem on FBSD before. Do you see anything odd if you run lsof? Won't say what started it, but it may give hints.

Also, perhaps you could display to the list what you are starting willingly to see if someone can identify a potential problem.

Steve