Quick update for all who were good enough to reply.

My problem is now solved...for any others wishing to
"secure" their servers in such a fashion, here is what
it was..

1. /usr/bin/yppasswd needs to be other executable.
2. even with the above done, if I login as one use,
then su to root and then su to the poor old
non-priviledged user it gives the error. login in
directly (via ssh/telnet/console) with the above
change and it works.

sign!!!

once again, thanks for the help and advise.

=====
Mark W J Redding