On 2/27/12 11:45 AM, Bender, Chris wrote:

I was thinking about just reloading the pf.conf but I have never worked
with pf so
I am worried other things might break. My thought was by doing that the
Adaptive part of the pfctl would be restarted?

Any pf.conf file I've ever seen does something sensible after reload. I suspect one could write something perverse that blows up on restart, but that would making rebooting the machine problematic....

Does that make sense would reloading the rules wash the adaptive
behavior away or
Would all that still be in some sort of bruteforce file to protect the
firewall?

pf can load data from files when it starts or just manage things in a fashion that is transient upon restart. Hard to say what's happening in your case w/o a clue as to what's in pf.conf.

I'd suggest that you at the very least whitelist internal SMTP speakers that you expect to get e-mail from on a regular basis, even if you do throttling of SMTP connections in general. Much less messy....

--
--Jon Radel
j...@radel.com