On 03/02/12 23:57, Michel Talon wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:40:21 +1000 Da Rock wrote:
Are you sure its just a script? Any clue as to what shell it is using?
Bash? I do believe there should be some binaries there somewhere as well.
Yes im sure. I have a ppd File, they linked
to /usr/local/libexec/brlpdwrapperMFC730 and thats a shell scipt.

I just went to the Brother site and downloaded a cups driver from here. It is
not exactly
the same as yours, it is for the MFC7320 but for sure there is a shell script
plus a binary.
called brcupsconfig3, which is called in the shell script called
cupswrapperMFC7320-2.0.2.

The binary is
niobe% file brcupsconfig3
brcupsconfig3: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, not stripped

So at best you can hope to run it with Linux emulation. Personally i have an
Epson dot printer
and it is the same, the Linux driver contains binary blobs and cannot be run
under FreeBSD.

If you want to  avoid such problems the only solution is to buy a printer with
postscript
or pdf support and direct network connection, that is an expensive one. Here at
the lab we are very happy
with Xerox sublimation models (i think it is an evolution of the old Tektronix
phaser)
for doing color prints. In particular the use costs are low, much lower than
with color laser printers,
in par with black and white laser printers.
But if you want to produce nice photographic prints, unfortunately you have to
rely on good
epson dot printers or similar, which means FreeBSD is excluded, unfortunately.
How good are the sublimation printers? When I was at Xerox, the C410 produced brilliant photographic prints and it was laser; I'd expect better from the subs. I'm also surprised epson doesn't work.

As to this brother problem, I've also heard from Robert, so this also influences this discussion.

Could it be possible to run the binaries under linuxulator? Don't port it as such. The whole premise of cups is a pipeline, so this should work surely? Forget compiling and run it all under linuxulator - main program _and_ .so. I considered this before with other printers.