On 03/12/2012 03:13 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:19:06PM -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
I have a situation where I need to provide people with the ability to edit
files.  However, under no circumstances do I want them to be able to exit
to the shell.   The client in question has strong (and unyielding) InfoSec
requirements in this regard.

So ... are there editors without this feature?  Can I compile something like
joe or vi to inhibit this feature?

man vi (see "-S")

It turns out you can still work around this if your know the trick.
I am still researching this, but restricted vi appears to be compromised.