On 03/12/2012 05:33 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
 From owner-freebsd-questi...@freebsd.org  Mon Mar 12 17:46:04 2012
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:47:59 -0700
From: "Edward M."<eam1edw...@gmail.com>
To: Polytropon<free...@edvax.de>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Editor With NO Shell Access?

On 03/12/2012 03:23 PM, Polytropon wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:19:51 -0700, Edward M. wrote:
On 03/12/2012 03:10 PM, Polytropon wrote:
/etc/shells to work, but a passwd entry like

     bob:*:1234:1234:Two-loop-Bob:/home/bob:/usr/local/bin/joe
     I think this would not  let the user to login,etc
I'm not sure... I assume logging in is handled by /usr/bin/login,
and control is then (i. e. after successful login) transferred
to the login shell, which is the program specified in the
"shell" field (see "man 5 passwd") of /etc/passwd. How is
login supposed to know if the program specified in this
field is actually a dialog shell?

  From "man 1 login" I read that many shells have a built-in
login command, but /usr/bin/login is the system's default
binary for this purpose if the "shell" (quotes deserved if
it is an editor as shown in my assumption) has no capability
of performing a login.

     Now i gotta try this out.   Off to
     hosed my system.
If other configuration is set up right (e.g. /etc/shells), you can name
*any* executable as the 'shell' field in /etc/passwd, and have it work.

"Long, long, ago", I used this for client 'on demand' system back-up.  They
just put the tape in the drive, and logged in as the 'backup' user.

*HOWEVER* this is -not- a solution for the OP's "problem", as a skilled,
_malicious_, user can change, say,  vi(1)'s idea of what executable it
should invoke when a '!', or '!!' command is issued.
I tried it out of curiosity to see if it was possible to login in joe, by the way the OS was configure. However my knowledge is not advance to continue, got stock on the message
     cannot  not find "*-joerc" :-)

     Regards
     Ed