On 31.03.2012 00:16, Peter A. Giessel wrote:
On 2012, Mar 30, at 11:17, Warren Block wrote:
It should work with FreeBSD, certainly for text.  For graphics
output, Gutenprint doesn't have a setting specifically for the
6500, but one of the similar printers probably will work.  Don't
expect photo quality, color lasers have to do halftones.

I've requested a test printout, but they claim their 600 x 600 x 16 technology gives similar results than 1200 dpi inkjets.

It doesn't surprise me that Gutenprint doesn't have a setting
specifically for the 6500 because Xerox provides one:

Uf, I have this idea to only use LPD and filters.

I have a Phaser 6300 (older model), and it has worked well for every
OS that I have thrown at it, including Mac, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD,
iOS, etc.

Echoing others, get a real postscript printer, get a real network printer
(not USB), and get a laser printer (although Thermal Wax would also be
acceptable).

Just got an incredible deal, Xerox Phaser 6280V DN with toners for 2000+ pages for 362 EUR. That's exactly the price I've paid for ink in the last five years. I think I'll go with this one.

Regards and thanks to everyone who chimed in with a piece of good advice.

Karel