We would like to build a FreeBSD machine ourselves with many (~15) SATA drives, but NOT use a RAID controller. We want to be able to remove any drive and connect it to an ordinary motherboard SATA port and mount the filesystem using only the OS provided drivers and tools. I have built many FreeBSD systems, but never used port multipliers and don't know which controllers advertised as RAID controllers will support a plain pass-thru mode. Would anyone like to make a suggestion from actual experience?

The system will be used solely for archiving, so performance is not critical, but portability of the partitions to other systems is necessary.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER