Andrea Venturoli wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This might be a stupid question... however...
>
> %setenv EDITOR emacs -nw
> setenv: Too many arguments.
>
> %setenv  EDITOR "emacs -nw"
> %crontab -e
> crontab: emacs -nw: No such file or directory
> crontab: "emacs -nw" exited with status 1
>

> Is there a way I can easily achieve the above?

Not 'directly', the EDITOR variable has to be the name of an _executable_,
it is passed to exec and friends, as the executable to load.

There -may- be annother environment variable that emacs _itself_ looks
at for start-up switch settings,  (the 'minimal' manpage I have access to
doesn't mention any, but I'm _not_ an emacs user and don'k have full docs
available)

If all else fails, put the 'command' equivelent of '-nw' in your emacs
start-up file.

> Do I really need a script which in turns call emacs -nw?

Authoritative answer: 'maybe'. <grin>

See above for some 'possible' alternatives.

<cite>
  classic advice concerning the 'fine manual'
</cite>