On 19.04.2012 09:55, Shane Ambler wrote:
On 16/04/2012 18:04, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
today BD recordable disks have prices that make sense as well as recorders.

but as i never had one i want to ask - how it is used under FreeBSD.

Does growisofs work just like with DVD-R or other tools are needed?

I have an LG BH12LS38 blu-ray burner in a machine I bought in
december. Running 9.0-RELEASE

I haven't burnt a BD-R yet but I have used k3b (which is just a gui
front end to growisofs,mkisofs,cdrecord,cdrdao,etc) to burn plenty of
single layer dvd's.

From the info I can see that cdrecord and growisofs list blu-ray in features.

The prefs show the drive info with BD-R BD-RE listed in write
capabilities. Available space jumps in sizes up to 50GB and it asks
you to insert a blu-ray medium if file sizes total over 8GB

It looks to have all the support needed.

As for authoring a blu-ray to play in your home theatre it could be
another story - I haven't looked into that.

I am not sure about the ISO formatting needed for this, the blu-Ray specifications I believe call for the file system to be UDF version 2.5/2.6. I don't believe FreeBSD supports greater than UDF 1.5. I ran into this issue a while back after building an ISO image server to present an NFS volume to VMware ESX servers to allow O/S and Software installation media for mounting as guest Machines CDROMS. I also chose to write scripts and mount the ISO images as file systems to allow access to them via Samba when mounting the CD Wasn't necessary. A few software DVDs we had at the time used UDF 2.0, and I was unable to read them.

This server was built on FreeBSD 7.2, but I haven't noticed anything in release notes since stating an update to the UDF version support. Of course that doesn't mean it hasn't been updated, and either not included, or I missed them. Just something that I think you should check into before getting to far into any project with Blu-Ray burning on FreeBSD.

--
Thanks,
 Dean E. Weimer