On 23.04.2012 14:10, Chuck Swiger wrote:
On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
Tried rebuilding without the with SSL option set, oddly it started once after that, but a restart caused same behavior. gdb doesn't give me anything that I know how to interpret, gdb -c /ntpd.core. (I haven't really used gdb before, so if I am not doing something correctly with it, please feel free to let me know)

Ah, you need to build ntpd with -g in CFLAGS & LDFLAGS for debugging
symbols to be present....

at the risk of sounding like an complete n00b, how do I do that? After reading through the make man page, I decided on trying to build the port with "make CFLAGS+=-g LDFLAGS+=-g install clean" however I still get the no debugging symbols found message. Does the information in in the Makefile for the port overwrite this option from the command line? Or am I just using the incorrect syntax here?

(gdb) file /usr/local/bin/ntpd
Reading symbols from /usr/local/bin/ntpd...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

--
Thanks,
 Dean E. Weimer