I'm on 9.0 Release AMD64 and did not have Compat8x installed from ports which
fixed the issue, but I am wondering what (apart from upgrading *all* ports)
would be the correct approach to find out which port needs to be updated so
that whatever references the libz.so.5 version instead of libz.so.6 gets
updated?

This is very confusing to me because I got the error with php, and I am on the
very latest php5-5.3.10_1 version which I would expect to reference current
libraries.

Now I also have a problem with libssl.so.7, which popped up with Samba36. Again
I'm wondering what version provides the .7 incarnation.
I found a comment (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=21886) that this
library is part of security/openssl but a reinstall just now of openssl only
gave me libssl.so.8, so that's no longer valid. Creating a link to libssl.so.7
fixes the problem but is probably not the correct approach.

I guess the summary of the above is the question how one should go about
keeping/getting the right library versions. Or is that really a port problem
because they do not keep step with dependencies?

An explanation in layman's terms would be appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Caro