Thanks Mark,

Along with a private response from Raphaël Marmier, who told me
that I should run: apachectl startssl (instead of the apachectl start I normally run),

I discovered that there was an httpsdctl program in the same directory as
apachectl. After generating my key(s) and certificates (I signed them myself),
I ran httpsdctl start and httpsd started... A quick ps ax | grep 'http'
showed both httpd and httpsd running...

I quickly checked to make sure my current web pages still worked, and
they did.  Then I went to /usr/local/etc/apache and modified the
httpsd.conf file accordingly...  Restarted httpsd and put in a
quick and dirty index.html file (all it says is this is a secure page), into
the directory (that I defined in httpsd.conf).

Then went to my browser, and typed in: https://www.myserver.com

Instead of getting the index.html page I got, I got a page not found.

So I went to look at the log files...  Nothing... The log files for https
are empty, (nothing in error.log or access.log).  So I went to the
original log files and checked them... Nothing.

I'm not getting any error messages, and httpsd is running.
but the web pages aren't coming up either...

BTW: httpsdctl configtest shows that the httpsd.conf file is
okay.

If anyone has any more insight into this, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Peter