On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 09:04:18PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> while attempting to build and install mplayer under FreeBSD Release 8.2 I
> get the error;
>
> /usr/local/bin/ld: warning: libm.so.4, needed by /usr/local/lib/libspeex.so,
> may conflict with libm.so.5 /usr/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so: undefined
> reference to `XRRGetScreenResourcesCurrent'
> /usr/local/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so: undefined reference to
> `XRRGetOutputPrimary' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status gmake: ***
> [mplayer] Error 1
>
> If it's libspeex / libm.so.4 that is causing the error (thats what it looks
> like to me) I wonder how to find out what libspeex is being used for - or
> for that matter what libm.so.4 is needed for.

This sounds like a ports rebuild gone wrong. Did you by any chance upgrade
your ports in-place when updating the system from FreeBSD 7 to FreeBSD 8? Or
did you install libspeex from a package?

Try running the following command: `ldd /usr/local/lib/libspeex.so`. If the
output of that command indeed includes libm.so.4, you should re-install the
libspeex port before continuing. Make sure your ports tree is up-to-date, and
then do:

    # cd /usr/ports/audio/speex
        # make deinstall
        # make install clean

Then continue the mplayer build.

It might be a good idea to check if there are other libraries relying on older
system libs out there;

    # find /usr/local/lib -type f -name '*.so' -exec ldd {} \; >deps.txt
        # grep libm.so.4 deps.txt
        # grep libc.so.6 deps.txt

If the grep commands returns any output, you can search deps.txt to see which
library uses the older system libraries.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/