On 05/25/2012 04:49 PM, Arthur Chance wrote:
On 05/25/12 15:12, Frank Bonnet wrote:
On 05/25/2012 04:04 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

With apologies to Joni Mitchell:

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
From up and down, and still somehow,
It's cloud illusions I recall,
I really don't know clouds, at all.

Well, someone had to say it. :-) It summarises the marketing hype
perfectly.

fashion is quite often deciding factor not just in clothes. Actually
it works just the same in IT. What is funny with "cloud computing"
(new fashion trend) is that isn't defined at all. most probably
marketing people found out that it is not needed to define anything to
make people buy....ANYTHING.

Well ... My goal was NOT to start a flame war around the "cloud" term ...

I wasn't flaming, just remarking on the fact that the meaning of "cloud" depends on the company that is trying to sell you cloud related products.

next time I'll choose better words :-)

A bit more specific would be useful.

we would like to offer to our students and professors
a kind of private cloud to access/manipulate  their personnal data
from almost anywhere and with almost any devices

could be taken to mean anything from WebDAV/Dropbox functionality to Hadoop type processing or data mining. What sort of and how much "manipulation" is needed? If you answer that it would let us help you more.

Well ... in short I need to let our users ( students + profs ) access and share their data ( living in their UNIX home directories )
The access must be easy and possible from as much devices as possible.
Am I clear enough ? ( sorry English is not my native language ...)