On 30/05/2012 17:57, Gene wrote:
>  I've been trying to install the port databases/mysql55-server, updating from
> the older  5.4 version. mysql55-client installed just fine. However, when I
> "make" the '-server' port I get the errors shown in the first listing below.
> So I tried
>  "portmanager databases/mysql55-server -l -u"
>     (latest version of portmanager - 0.4.1_9).

Did you update to databases/mysql55-client before trying this?
mysqlXX-server depends on mysqlXX-client for the libmysql shared library
and related header files.

Generally to switch from mysql 5.4 to mysql 5.5 you'ld do something like
this:

   0) Backups, fasting, ritual cleansing, sacrifice of black cockerel,
      you know the drill.

   1) Stop MySQL -- plus any web servers or whatever that access mysql.

        # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server stop
        # ...

   2) If there is any mention of MYSQL related variables in
      /etc/make.conf, particularly those referring to version numbers,
      comment them out.

   3) Upgrade mysql-client:

        # portmaster -o databases/mysql55-client 'mysql-client-5.4.*'

   4) Upgrade mysql-server:

        # portmaster -o databases/mysql55-server 'mysql-server-5.4.*'

   5) If you've got them installed, upgrade mysql-scripts:

        # portmaster -o databases/mysql55-scripts 'mysql-scripts-5.4.*'

   6) Upgrade anything that links against libmysql.so -- you can use
      sysutils/bsdadminscripts which contains a handy script to tell
      you what applications on your system are affected.  Or, for the
      lazy and those with excess spare time:

        # portmaster -r databases/mysql55-client

      (but this will do far more work than necessary)

   7) Restart mysql and run the supplied program to update schemas etc.

        # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start
        # mysql_upgrade

   8) Restart any applications that use mysql.

   9) Test.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--