On 05/31/12 17:59, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>>  From Gary Aitken<a...@dreamchaser.org>  :
>
>> I've got an HP printer directly connected to the local network.
>
>> hp-probe finds it:
>
>> #hp-probe -bnet
>
>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.2)
>> Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1
>>    Device URI                                       Model
>>  Name
>>    -----------------------------------------------  ------------------------
>>  --------
>>    hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_8500_A909g?ip=aa.bb.cc.dd  Officejet_Pro_8500_A909g
>>  HP4356E6
>
>> Found 1 printer(s) on the 'net' bus.
>
>> However, hp-setup and hp-uri refuse to use it:
>
>> #hp-makeuri -ldebug aa.bb.cc.dd
>
>> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.2)
>> Device URI Creation Utility ver. 5.0
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Trying IP address aa.bb.cc.dd
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Not found.
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Trying serial number aa.bb.cc.dd
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Probing bus: usb
>> hp-makeuri[63924]: debug: Probing bus: par
>> error: Device not found
>
>> When the gui comes up, only the USB option is enabled.  There is no parallel
>> port active and no wireless on the box, but at least the network connection
>> should be available.
>
>> The probe which succeeds takes several seconds, but the hp-setup gui and
>> makeuri fail immediately, and the missing ability to set the network
>> discovery option in the gui lead me to believe it's not even trying the ip
>> addr.
>
>> Anyone with experience setting these guys up have any advice?
>
>> Alternately, is there anything other than a special lp filter really needed,
>> and if not, any suggestions on the best one to use?  I looked at apsfilter
>> but the installation SETUP driver options didn't seem to include this
>> printer.
>> Thanks
>
> I have an HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP, and hplip/hp-setup in FreeBSD finds the
> printer all right when connected by Ethernet, but then fails on installing
> the required binary plugin.  Printer is not detected at all when connected by
> USB.
>
> NetBSD 5.1_STABLE i386 with hplip 3.11.1 built from pkgsrc-wip couldn't find
> the printer on Ethernet, next step is to login to wireless router, and/or
> check the dmesg.boot, and then use the IP address found therefrom.
>
> pkgsrc-wip URL: http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net/
> pkgsrc URL: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html
>
> I wonder if I should have bought a printer, non-HP, with wireless, as long as
> it also had USB and Ethernet capability.
>
> Seeing security advisories for FreeBSD, my next move might be to update the
> source tree by csup, then rebuild (RELENG_9: 9.0-STABLE) for amd64 and build
> for i386 as well.  Then I would have the possibility of building wine from
> the ports, and I could try the MS-Windows software.  I also need to update
> [...]

I am in the process of trying to sort mine out.
Found this via one of the hp linux support pages
  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html
I'm in the process of trying to get mine working with their help.
We'll see how that goes; will post results.

In my case (network connection) they suggested running and sending them the
output of:

$ hp-check
$ hp-probe -ldebug
$ hp-makeuri -ldebug <ipaddress>
$ hp-setup -ldebug <ipaddress>

I'm in the process of sorting that out, as it may be an issue of how cups and
dbus are installed which may be preventing access (file ownership issues)

Gary