> I do wonder about that. What incentive does the possesor of a signing key
> have to keep it secret?

Contract penalty clause maybe ? Lawyers ?

Otherwise one of us would purchase a key for $99, & then publish
the key so we could all forever more compile & boot our own kernels.
But that would presumably break the trap Microsoft & Verisign seek
to impose.

It seems dangerous.  I suspect we (the free source community) will need
to campaign, to engage for eg more EU fines against monoplists to force
them to back off.

I say EU, 'cos they have done it before, so our best bet so far,
but it doesnt matter much which governments impose swingeing anti
monoploy fines, as long as enough do, to deter MS & verisign etc.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".