--As of June 7, 2012 3:30:52 PM -0700, David Christensen is alleged to have said:

For a new computer, I wouldn't go with anything earlier than FreeBSD
9.0, and in my case, upgrading to 9.0-STABLE proved stabler than the 9.0
release.

STFW:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2012-March/239742.ht
ml

It looks like -STABLE are daily development/ test builds (?):

It's a bit more nuanced: -STABLE is -RELEASE plus features that are believed to be complete and tested. -CURRENT is -STABLE plus features that are still under development. I'd call -STABLE test - but not quite development - builds, if that makes sense.

ftp://ftp.allbsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-snapshots/amd64-amd64/

I'm looking for stability.  I'll try the 9.0-RELEASE:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/

This generally my choice. You can be sure it's considered final-product ready. It also allows you to use freebsd-update to get patches. (Unless you compile your own.)

I don't recognize or don't remember DQ67SWB3 motherboard model, is it
from MSI?

Intel:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/
desktop-board-dq67sw.html

I'm not sure what the "B3" suffix means, but it's on the box.

A few other questions for the list, please:

1.  Does FreeBSD support encrypted disk partitions (slices)?

Yes, see the Handbook:
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html>
(Actually, many of your questions can be answered from the handbook.  ;) )

Using them in conjunction with ZFS is a bit complicated, but can be done. (Generally, you'd want to use an encrypted slice as a disk to put ZFS on.) ZFS itself does not currently support encryption.

2.  Does the X server in FreeBSD (?) support Intel HD 2000 integrated
graphics?

That's Sandy Bridge, and is supported as of 9.0.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.