On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:40:27 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 14/06/2012 07:11, Polytropon wrote:
> > Even school taught that in the 80's: When dealing with
> > computers, 1 kB != 1000 B, but 1 kB = 1024 B. That is
> > considered basic knowledge.
>
> Schools teach a lot of things that are so glossed over or so
> over-simplified as to be basically wrong.  They have been known to teach
> things that were common knowledge at the time and were later shown to be
> simply incorrect[*].

That's why you never can stop learning in IT, and fighting
bad habits in all imaginable areas. :-)

> > Every IT person should be aware of this. It's common to "abuse"
> > the SI units with the (known!) deviant interpretation.
>
> Really?  If I said the bandwidth usage was 10Mb/s would you immediately
> understand that was 10,000,000,000 bits per second?  Yes, bandwidth is
> always denoted in strict SI powers-of-1000 scale modifiers, always has
> been, but the corrosive effect of muddling 2^10 vs 10^3 in computing
> just leads to confusion and error.

In that case, it's simple: The base unit is b (bit), not B (byte),
so M = *1000*1000 as the normal SI interpretation. The abuse of M
as in *1024*1024 (SI: Mi) only happens to bytes. :-)

> > Sometimes, you find hardware vendors "forgetting" the factor
> > mismatch 1024 vs. 1000 when they tell you how many GB the new
> > shiny hard disk has. :-)
>
> Oh dear.  It is so galling to realise that the sales people were
> actually right all along isn't it?  Does one's geek credibility no good
> at all to realise that we've been out pedanted by some suits...

And it becomes even more funny when an "IT aware" advertising
manager says: "Hey, there's this cool Gi prefix, why not
just say the disk is 800 GiB instead of 800 GB? Then more
geeks will buy our products!" :-)

(No, I won't try to even mention the fun of usable file
system capacity vs. gross disk "hardware-only" capacity.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany