On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM, O. Hartmann
<ohart...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> I have a USB drive/stick, Lexar USB Flash drive as reported by FreeBSD
> shown below.
> When first used, I was able to put approx. 30 GB of data on it - it was
> visible to FreeBSD 9 and 10 as expected.
> A Linux system at the lab was also capable of recognizing it. After
> that, I tried to operate on the stick on a Notebook, FreeBSD 9, and
> another station, FreeBSD 10. But FreeBSD didn't recognize the USB drive
> anymore - sometimes, but this seems to be a gambling issue :-(
>
> Trying Linux on different hardware platforms and even those machines
> prior not recognizing the USB drive do recognize the drive as Lexar USB
> Flash drive with 64GB. That is Suse Linux (some 12.XX), that is Ubuntu
> 12.04, that is Windows 7 Pro/x64. I can format the drive, I can push and
> pull data from it.
>
> So, since the USB drive won't work with three different FreeBSD boxes
> (one running 9-STABLE, two 10-CURRENT, all systems most recent sources
> and buildworld from a day ago).
> I suspect either a weird configuration issue I use on all platforms in
> questions in common triggering the weird beviour - or FreeBSD is simply
> incapable of handling the 64GB drive. I do not have issues with USB
> drives with capacities of 32, 8 or 4 GB of different brands.
>
> As shown in the portion of the dmesg below, the USB drive is recognized
> physically. It doesn't matter whether USB port I use (I tried all
> available on all boxes and in most cases I use a Dell UltraSharp powered
> in-screen HUB). Since other OSes handle the drive as expected, I exclude
> hardware issues.
>
> All FreeBSD in common is the fact I use the new device ahaci/device ata
> CAM/ATA scheme with devcie scbus in the kernel (I use custom kernels!).
>
> Apart from trying a GENERIC kernel (which is next I will do this
> weekend), does anyone have similar experiences and probably solutions?
>
> Regards,
> oh
>
> ugen7.6: <Lexar> at usbus7
> umass1: <Lexar USB Flash Drive, class 0/0, rev 2.00/11.00, addr 6> on usbus7
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Retrying command
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Retrying command
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Retrying command
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Retrying command
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 0 0 0 24 0
> (probe0:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
> [...]

I see similar behavior and output on my Dell M6500 notebook running
CURRENT, but only on two ports which are some type of hybrid USB
2.0/3.0 (configurable via BIOS setting).

If I use either of these ports with a USB 2.0 device while running the
ports in USB 3.0 mode (using xhci(4)), I can't reliably get a device
to properly attach. I say reliably, because every once in a while, I
can plug a device in and it works fine, even multiple times and after
reboots.

If I configure these ports to run in USB 2.0 mode (using ehci(4)), all
of my USB 2.0 devices seem to work without fail. However, USB 3.0
devices do not attach on these ports when they are configured as USB
2.0 ports.

So, at least on my notebook, these ports must be configured at either
2.0 or 3.0, depending on which device I plan on using :(

I have one other port on this same system that is USB 2.0-only, and it
works all of the time :)

I'll have to try and add a hub into the mix to see if perhaps it is a
power issue (although with a recent Linux kernel and Windows 7, all is
well no matter what configuration I provide). It may be that FreeBSD's
USB subsystem lacks some extra bit of code required to configure the
ports properly in regard to power.

-Brandon