Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
[ ... ]
The bottleneck is write performance, reading from the documentation this is normally a weak point in Vinum/raid5 setups.

It's not vinum; RAID-5 write performance is going to be relatively slow even with hardware parity/XOR support.

The volume will be used for storing temporary files with sizes in the 1-4MB range, a few hundreds at a time. Reads are fine but writes a bit slow.

What ratio of reads to writes do you expect?

Copying 170 files total 319MB TO the Vinum volume takes about 2m45s.
Copying same files FROM the Vinum volume to another volume on a hardware raid5 controller takes 43s.

A 3-1 ratio in speeds for software RAID-5 versus hardware doesn't strike me as being very wrong....

This machine is not in production yet so I can still make changes to the configuration. The current block size is 16384 and the stripe size 419k. I assume it would be a good idea to change that to for example 491,520?

...or try a few stripe sizes, such as 64K or 128K.

-Chuck