On Jun 22, 2012 10:42 AM, "Eitan Adler" <li...@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 21 June 2012 04:24, Fred Morcos <fred.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >                     Introduction and background
> > q) Is it possible to run a FreeBSD system without much building? In
> > other words, can I survive by depending on packages and only resorting
> > to ports when really needed?
>
> To an extent. It is currently possible to use only packages, but they
> tend to be out of date and upgrading is non-easy without a third party
> tool (such as portmaster or portupgrade).
> There is currently active work to fix these issues in a project called
> pkgng. This will likely become the default in the next couple of
> months.
>
> > q) Where does the FreeBSD project stand on this matter? From what I
> > noticed is that the base system seems to adhere to the tranditional
> > flat text files for configuration and simple tools that do a good job,
> > leaving it up to the user to combine those small tools to create
> > larger, more complex ones (a UNIX inheritance).
>
> FreeBSD tends to be conservative. The project won't implement a
> complex daemon without clear benefits and specific discussion on the
> pros and cons.
>
> > q) Is a FreeBSD stable base system with "current" high-level
> > components possible? Will it avoid the issues I experienced on
> > Linux-based systems?
>
> Generally, yes. There will likely be some adjustment period as you
> learn how FreeBSD works, but most people have few problems.
>
> > q) I would assume UFS with J+SU is "fast enough" for a laptop?
>
> Yes. Most people call it "SU+J" ;).
> Don't use it for an SSD though
>
> > q) Does ZFS make sense on a laptop? Any advantages of using it over
> > USF with J+SU? I am not interested in any striping or mirroring on
> > the laptops, but the compression features is very attractive for the
> > HDDs in the first laptop.
>
> ZFS is ram hog. How much ram does your laptop have?
>
> > q) The second laptop has an SSD, would UFS with/without J and
> > with/without SU or ZFS make more sense for it?
>
> Make sure to enable TRIM support if your SSD supports it.
>
> > q) Can I live with a desktop environment (Gnome or KDE) and desktop
> > applications (Firefox, Libreoffice, etc) by relying only on packages?
>
> Sort of. With pkgng this will become a lot easier.  If you are
> currently willing to deal with out of date packages until pkgng
> becomes default (or want to work with non-default technology now) it
> will be possible.
>
> > q) Does the NVIDIA binary driver work reliably? I would like to hear
> > personal experiences with that.
>
> Yes. This has never been the cause of any problem for me
>
> > q) Does the bsdinstall align partitions to device blocks by default
> > for optimal speed? If not, I have found that I can use gpart with -a
> > and -b which will require me to calculate the start and end offsets of
> > each partition manually. Is there a tool that can automatically do
> > that for me?
>
> You said you had an SSD: it doesn't matter.

> [...]
freebsd-questions-unsubscr...@freebsd.org"

packages in /current/Latest are generrally up to date, sometimes trail
ports a couple of days.

its quite easy to pkg_delete --force and pkg_add new version to upgrade...
i've been doing this for some time without problems. its trivial to make a
python script to check for latest version avail and upgrade, i haven't
timed it but 700 or so package updates take about 30 mins..

i look forward to pkgng, on low power devices build from ports can take a
week and then some. :)

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA