I went through this exercise to determine if there were boundary
issues installing FreeBSD on disks.  I concluded that FreeBSD was
indeed installing at head boundaries.  A colleague then pointed me to
http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/2011-01-01.freebsd-on-4k-sector-drives.html
which calls into question whether sysinstall and fdisk really are
installing FreeBSD's slice at the 64th cylinder.  Should I be
concerned with this?

This came about due to a scenario where Linux would start its
filesystem at sector 63, right before the head boundary.  On I/O
intensive applications, it was common for reads/write to cross the
head boundary resulting in unnecessary disk thrashing and long I/O
wait times.  The issue was corrected in Linux by changing the start
cylinder to 2048.  Some theorized that FreeBSD was vulnerable to this
scenario.

Thoughts/feedback?

--
Take care