On Sun, 8 Jul 2012, Carmel wrote:

Yes, gpart will work with pretty much any storage device.

If you want the drive to be bootable, it needs boot blocks.  This is
easier with GPT than MBR.  For an 8G drive:

# gpart create -s gpt da0
# gpart add -t freebsd-boot -s 512k da0
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 da0
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -b 1M -s 7G da0
# gpart add -t freebsd-swap da0
# newfs -U /dev/da0p2

Thanks Warren, you win the prize for the most detailed answer.
Polytropon gave me the easiest answer if I just want to use the drive
as a simple storage device; however, if at some point I actually want
to go beyond that your answer is what I would require.

Interestingly enough, I searched through the man pages and FreeBSD help
but never came across anything that specifically addressed flash drive.
Perhaps I was just not looking hard enough.

FreeBSD sees no significant difference between a flash drive and a disk drive. They are treated the same.

Perhaps, and I know that this will offend some purists, but a nice GUI
that would do what your instructions detail above would be helpful.
There is no way that I am going to remember all of those instructions in
six months time. Just my 2ยข.

bsdinstall(8) has a curses partition editor. There is probably a trick needed to use that outside of an install context. I find gpart easier.