I am having problems getting the Hiro USB wireless adapter to work and think I
might possibly be missing something.

Chip is Realtek RTL8191S.

I read the man pages for ndisgen and ndiscvt and the FreeBSD Handbook online.

Do I need
options NDISAPI   # and
device ndis

in the kernel config, even if I use modules resulting from ndiscvt or ndisgen?

I suppose these wouldn't hurt, I just put them in the kernel configs for i386
and amd64, awaiting next system rebuild for FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1 or PRERELEASE.

Also, I notice, in addition to the .inf and .sys files, there is a .cat file in
the MS-Windows drivers:

net8192su.cat   net8192su.inf   rtl8192su.sys

What is the .cat file, is it a firmware driver?

Drivers are included for MS-Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7; all but Win 2000
include 32-bit and 64-bit.

Tom