On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:08:56 +0100, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On 22/07/2012 16:01, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M' works under Cygwin - or you can
> >> just write a load of zeros to \\.\PhysicalDrive0 .
> >
> > who prevents you to bood live CD or pendrive with FreeBSD (or
> > openbsd,netbsd,linux,solaris,whatever usable)?
>
> Nobody - I didn't say users couldn't boot from a FreeBSD/etc live CD,
> but zeroing the disk in Cygwin is an alternative.

Installing Cygwin on a "Windows" PC is nothing an average user
could achieve easily. The _idea_ of booting something else is
also no typical approach. That's why professional companies
offer a paid service so the user does not have to invest his
valuable time in educating himself about alternatives what
he cannot do _natively_ with his "Windows". It's a simple
market decision which seems to work (or they wouldn't care
to offer it).

Furthermore, in your example using Cygnwin's dd _on_ the disk
Cygnwin is currently running from, and the "Windows" it runs
on too, doesn't seem like a very good idea. I assume it will
result in a bluescreen soon and a _partially_ erased disk.

By the way, I remember I had a DD.EXE program on my old DOS
system. I'm not sure if such a tool could operate on devices
(instead of filesystem-based representations as "drive letters"),
but it actually _was_ a DOS-based "copy & convert" utility
for the PC. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany