At 11:33 AM 8/13/2012, Michael Sierchio wrote:

And it does, in my experience.  If the hash of the kernel doesn't
match that of the distribution (or recent update), freebsd-update
leaves it alone.

That is what I thought it would do, based on the docs. However, when I recently ran freebsd-update on a FreeBSD 9.0 machine with a module-less custom kernel at /boot/kernel/kernel, it fetched a GENERIC kernel and overwrote the custom kernel with it. Interestingly, it didn't bring in any modules; it just overwrote the one file.

--Brett Glass