games/quake2max is a good one...At least it was years ago when I tried it. I see nothing in the Makefile that will prevent it from building on amd64.

Cheers,

Josh

On 8/20/12 12:16 PM, Polytropon wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:05:17 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
Polytropon wrote:
Please advise if there are any 3D shooters in the ports collection
which work out of the box on 9.0-STABLE (amd64)? None of those I have
tried work for a number of irritating reasons, like e.g.

games/uhexen: http://pastebin.com/ZaJ74eaa
MIDI load failed:/etc/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory

Install timidity++ from ports to get MIDI background music support.
Actually I have compiled it WITHOUT_MUSIC. Anyway, recompiling with background
music support does not make things any better:

Starting Hexen!
XDM authorization key matches an existing client!V_Init: allocate screens.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
DEMO IWAD detected!
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
MN_Init: Init menu system.
CT_Init: Init chat mode data.
S_InitScript
SN_InitSequenceScript: Registering sound sequences.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
SDL Audio opened successfully.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Executable: U-Hexen 0.5 build Aug 20 2012.
R_Init: Init Hexen refresh daemonTextures Bus error (core dumped)
"Bus error" doesn't sound good.

games/doom: http://pastebin.com/XdrCwzvn
doom-1.10_5 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.

A precise message.
Does not make me any happier.
But at least it tells the truth from the beginning.

games/quake2lnx even pretends to do something: it opens a tiny X11
window with some flickering rubbish and plays some farting sounds to
the audio system.

Is there any working 3D shooter in the ports collection my 8 year old
son could enjoy?
How about OpenArena? I'm currently playing it with pals via
Internet. Okay, not at this moment, as I'm writing this
message, obviously... :-)
This is some multiuser game, isn't it? I was looking for something one
could play alone, like Doom or Hexen.
You actually have a series of levels to play against computer
enemies (AI), but it's not that it contains a "story" like
DooM or Quake.

I have some WADs from the old
DOS CDs and from BBSes.
Try to load them with lsdldoom or prboom (I've tried both in
the past).

First make sure all your 3D stuff runs fine. Install "xlockmore"
and test it with:

        % xlock -nolock -mode lament
        % xlock -nolock -mode fire

Works fine?
Yes, it does. In fact, I use xlock as my screensaver all the time.
Very good, so there will be _no_ problem related to 3D, which
often is the main issue for those games.

Next consideration:

Games in ports collection that run out of the box (even though I
still have 8.2-STABLE/x86 here) include DooM 3 and Quake 4.
If I wanted a linux game, I would use the linux notebook. I am very
reluctant in install half-a-penguin on my FreeBSD box just to play a
game.
I also had to apply some tweaks to get those games running, it's
at least not trivial.

I've
also tried RTCW, but except a grey fullscreen I get nothing.
Music plays, I can move the mouse and listen to the main menu
choices "clicking", but I don't see anything. For older DooM
ports, I've successfully been playing DooM, DooM II and Heretic
using lsdldoom port on a 300 MHz P2. Note lsdldoom also supports
OpenGL graphics.
Which port is it? "make search key=lsdldoom" finds nothing.
Oh, it's "doomlegacy".

I could also play Quake, Quake 2 from ports,
and Jedi Knight II via wine.
Oh, is there really nothing native?
No, that game is far too old, but Quake and Quake 2 have ports
(to native FreeBSD) which work very nicely with the original
files from the DOS version. Still it was playable more than 5
years ago, so even considering the ongoing disimprovement, it
should run today. :-)

Maybe even other older DOS shooters (Duke Nukem 3D, Chasm,
Shadow Warrior, Dark Forces, Blood and so on) could be easily
run using a VM or emulator?

--
Josh Tolbert
h...@puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor
do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger
is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either
a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -- Helen Keller