John R. Levine wrote:

>> Then perhaps you should downgrade to lang/php53 and lang/php53-extensions
>> and compare the results!
>
> Good thought, I just did that.  Results:
>
> php5.3: works fine as far as I can tell
>
> php5.4: fails in random ways
>
> This suggests there is a bug in 5.4 which only is apparent on FreeBSD 8.x.
> I note that the packages for 8.x have gone away on the distribution
> server, so I expect they're not regression testing 8.x any more
> [snip]

I had pretty much the same experience. I run apache22 with the event mpm in
conjunction with php-fm, utilizing mod_fastcgi to connect the two. This is
so I can have a threaded web server and separate it from questionable
"thread-safe" PHP code. I had built PHP with the threading option, and with
5.4.x I had flaky segfaults in some modules. I suspected at the time that
there were regressions in "thread-safety" in more than one module but had
zero time to deal with it. I went back down to 5.3.xx just as you and have
had no trouble since.

-Mike