On 08/24/12 14:54, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> 2012-08-24 17:14, Gary Aitken skrev:

>>> Try exif -l filename and it will show you all exif fields and the fields
>>> that's in the picture.
>>>
>>>   From man exif
>>>
>>> -l, --list-tags
>>>         List all known EXIF tags and IFDs.  A JPEG image  must  be  pro-
>>>         vided, and those tags which appear in the file are shown with an
>>>         asterisk in the corresponding position in the list.
>>
>> exif appears to list only "known" exif tags, and seems to omit vendor
>> specific
>> information.  Much of the important information about an image is stored in
>> the
>> vendor specific tags.
>
> exif -'|' filename show the camera vendors stuff
>
> kw# exif -'|' IMG_0657.JPG
> MakerNote contains 109 values:
> Macro Mode          |Normal
> Self-timer          |Off
>
>> In the case of my oly pen-ep3, exif -l lists 143 known exif tags,
>> of which only 49 are used by my camera.  However, exiv2 shows over
>> 300 pieces of relevant information which actually appear, and well over 100
>> I can identify as relevant to the particular image (the others may or may not
>> be relevant, I just can't interpret them; some are unlabelled).

Perhaps it depends on the camera; or perhaps Canon puts all of the additional
information in the MakerNote.  For my oly, the MakerNote contains next to
nothing:

%exif -'|' Bird_0001B_20111214_300mm_IS_30s_Flicker.jpg
MakerNote contains 7 values:
Speed/Sequence/Panor|Normal/0/0
Camera ID           |OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Unknown Tag         |
Unknown Tag         |
Unknown Tag         |
Unknown Tag         |
Unknown Tag         |

Another possibility is you are missing some info you aren't aware of.
I'm curious to know if Canon stashes things in other places;
I know nikon does similar to the way oly does as reported below;
exiv2 -u -p a on a nikon raw file shows 112 nikon specific values.

%man exif
  As EXIF tags are read, any unknown ones are discarded...

%exiv2 -u -p a Bird_0001B_20111214_300mm_IS_30s_Flicker.jpg
Exif.Image.ImageDescription                  Ascii      32  OLYMPUS DIGITAL
CAMERA
Exif.Image.Make                              Ascii      24  OLYMPUS IMAGING
CORP.
Exif.Image.Model                             Ascii      17  E-P3
Exif.Image.Orientation                       Short       1  top, left
Exif.Image.XResolution                       Rational    1  314
Exif.Image.YResolution                       Rational    1  314
Exif.Image.ResolutionUnit                    Short       1  inch
Exif.Image.Software                          Ascii      32  Version 1.0
Exif.Image.DateTime                          Ascii      20  2011:12:14 13:46:47
Exif.Image.Artist                            Ascii      64  Gary Aitken
Exif.Image.YCbCrPositioning                  Short       1  Co-sited
Exif.Image.Copyright                         Ascii      64  Dona Aitken
Exif.Image.ExifTag                           Long        1  218
Exif.Photo.ExposureTime                      Rational    1  1/30 s
Exif.Photo.FNumber                           Rational    1  F6.7
Exif.Photo.ExposureProgram                   Short       1  Aperture priority
Exif.Photo.ISOSpeedRatings                   Short       1  640
Exif.Photo.ExifVersion                       Undefined   4  2.21
Exif.Photo.DateTimeOriginal                  Ascii      20  2011:12:14 13:46:47
Exif.Photo.DateTimeDigitized                 Ascii      20  2011:12:14 13:46:47
Exif.Photo.ComponentsConfiguration           Undefined   4  YCbCr
Exif.Photo.ExposureBiasValue                 SRational   1  0 EV
Exif.Photo.MaxApertureValue                  Rational    1  F4.8
Exif.Photo.MeteringMode                      Short       1  Spot
Exif.Photo.LightSource                       Short       1  Cloudy weather
Exif.Photo.Flash                             Short       1  Yes, did not fire
Exif.Photo.FocalLength                       Rational    1  300.0 mm
Exif.Photo.MakerNote                         Undefined 10368  (Binary value
suppressed)
Exif.MakerNote.Offset                        Long        1  3208
Exif.MakerNote.ByteOrder                     Ascii       3  II
Exif.Olympus2.SpecialMode                    Long        3  Normal
Exif.Olympus2.CameraID                       Undefined  32  OLYMPUS DIGITAL
CAMERA
Exif.Olympus2.Equipment                      Ifd         1  102
Exif.OlympusEq.EquipmentVersion              Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.OlympusEq.CameraType                    Ascii       6  S0032
Exif.OlympusEq.SerialNumber                  Ascii      32  B9U504279
Exif.OlympusEq.InternalSerialNumber          Ascii      32  4124110000231102
Exif.OlympusEq.FocalPlaneDiagonal            Rational    1  2160/100
Exif.OlympusEq.BodyFirmwareVersion           Long        1  4102
Exif.OlympusEq.LensType                      Byte        6  0 0 8 16 0 0
Exif.OlympusEq.LensSerialNumber              Ascii      32  340007174
Exif.OlympusEq.LensModel                     Ascii      32  OLYMPUS M.75-300mm
F4.8-6.7
Exif.OlympusEq.LensFirmwareVersion           Long        1  4096
Exif.OlympusEq.MaxApertureAtMinFocal         Short       1  1159
Exif.OlympusEq.MaxApertureAtMaxFocal         Short       1  1405
Exif.OlympusEq.MinFocalLength                Short       1  75
Exif.OlympusEq.MaxFocalLength                Short       1  300
Exif.OlympusEq.MaxApertureAtCurrentFocal     Short       1  1428
Exif.OlympusEq.LensProperties                Short       1  49472
Exif.OlympusEq.Extender                      Byte        6  None
Exif.OlympusEq.ExtenderSerialNumber          Ascii      32
Exif.OlympusEq.ExtenderModel                 Ascii      32
Exif.OlympusEq.ExtenderFirmwareVersion       Long        1  0
Exif.OlympusEq.0x0403                        Ascii      32
Exif.OlympusEq.FlashType                     Short       1  None
Exif.OlympusEq.FlashModel                    Short       1  None
Exif.OlympusEq.FlashFirmwareVersion          Long        1  0
Exif.OlympusEq.FlashSerialNumber             Ascii      32
Exif.Olympus2.CameraSettings                 Ifd         1  408
Exif.OlympusCs.CameraSettingsVersion         Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.OlympusCs.PreviewImageValid             Long        1  Yes
Exif.OlympusCs.PreviewImageStart             Long        1  5803244
Exif.OlympusCs.PreviewImageLength            Long        1  565426
Exif.OlympusCs.ExposureMode                  Short       1  Aperture-priority AE
Exif.OlympusCs.AELock                        Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.MeteringMode                  Short       1  Spot
Exif.OlympusCs.ExposureShift                 SRational   1  0/100
Exif.OlympusCs.MacroMode                     Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.FocusMode                     Short       2  MF10
Exif.OlympusCs.FocusProcess                  Short       2  AF Used
Exif.OlympusCs.AFSearch                      Short       1  Ready
Exif.OlympusCs.AFAreas                       Long       64  1902874257 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.AFPointSelected               SRational   5  0/0 255/510 252/510
255/510 252/510
Exif.OlympusCs.0x0306                        Byte        1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.AFFineTuneAdj                 SShort      3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.FlashMode                     Short       1  Fill-in
Exif.OlympusCs.FlashExposureComp             SRational   1  0/256
Exif.OlympusCs.0x0402                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.FlashRemoteControl            Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.FlashControlMode              Short       4  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.FlashIntensity                SRational   4  0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Exif.OlympusCs.ManualFlashStrength           SRational   4  0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Exif.OlympusCs.WhiteBalance                  Short       1  6000K (Cloudy)
Exif.OlympusCs.WhiteBalanceTemperature       Short       1  6000
Exif.OlympusCs.WhiteBalanceBracket           SShort      2  0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.CustomSaturation              SShort      3  1 -5 5
Exif.OlympusCs.ModifiedSaturation            Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.ContrastSetting               SShort      3  0 -5 5
Exif.OlympusCs.SharpnessSetting              SShort      3  0 -5 5
Exif.OlympusCs.ColorSpace                    Short       1  sRGB
Exif.OlympusCs.0x0508                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.SceneMode                     Short       1  Standard
Exif.OlympusCs.NoiseReduction                Short       1
Exif.OlympusCs.DistortionCorrection          Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.ShadingCompensation           Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.CompressionFactor             Rational    1  4/1
Exif.OlympusCs.0x050e                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.Gradation                     SShort      4  Normal,
Auto-Override
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureMode                   Short       2  Natural
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeSaturation         SShort      3  1 -2 2
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeHue                Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeContrast           SShort      3  0 -2 2
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeSharpness          SShort      3  0 -2 2
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeBWFilter           SShort      1  n/a
Exif.OlympusCs.PictureModeTone               SShort      1  n/a
Exif.OlympusCs.NoiseFilter                   SShort      3  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.0x0528                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.ArtFilter                     Short       4  Off
Exif.OlympusCs.DriveMode                     Short       3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.PanoramaMode                  Short       2  0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.ImageStabilization            Long        1  On, Mode 1
Exif.OlympusCs.0x0800                        Short       1  1
Exif.OlympusCs.ManometerPressure             Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusCs.ManometerReading              SLong       2  0 0
Exif.OlympusCs.ExtendedWBDetect              Short       1  Off
Exif.Olympus2.RawDevelopment                 Ifd         1  1158
Exif.OlympusRd.RawDevVersion                 Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.OlympusRd.ExposureBiasValue             SRational   1  0/1
Exif.OlympusRd.WhiteBalanceValue             Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusRd.WBFineAdjustment              SShort      1  0
Exif.OlympusRd.GrayPoint                     Short       3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusRd.SaturationEmphasis            SShort      3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusRd.MemoryColorEmphasis           Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusRd.ContrastValue                 SShort      3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusRd.SharpnessValue                SShort      3  0 0 0
Exif.OlympusRd.ColorSpace                    Short       1  sRGB
Exif.OlympusRd.Engine                        Short       1  High Speed
Exif.OlympusRd.NoiseReduction                Short       1
Exif.OlympusRd.EditStatus                    Short       1  Original
Exif.OlympusRd.Settings                      Short       1
Exif.Olympus2.ImageProcessing                Ifd         1  1332
Exif.OlympusIp.ImageProcessingVersion        Undefined   4  1.12
Exif.OlympusIp.WB_RBLevels                   Short       4  574 362 260 256
Exif.OlympusIp.ColorMatrix                   Short       9  372 65448 65508
65476 388 65464 6 65396 390
Exif.OlympusIp.BlackLevel                    Short       4  64 64 64 65
Exif.OlympusIp.GainBase                      Short       1  256
Exif.OlympusIp.CropLeft                      Short       2  8 0
Exif.OlympusIp.CropTop                       Short       2  8 0
Exif.OlympusIp.CropWidth                     Long        1  4032
Exif.OlympusIp.CropHeight                    Long        1  3024
Exif.OlympusIp.NoiseReduction                Short       1
Exif.OlympusIp.DistortionCorrection          Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusIp.ShadingCompensation           Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusIp.0x101b                        SShort      2  0 0
Exif.OlympusIp.MultipleExposureMode          Short       2  Off
Exif.OlympusIp.FaceDetect                    Long        3  Off
Exif.OlympusIp.FaceDetectArea                Short     192
Exif.Olympus2.FocusInfo                      Ifd         1  2358
Exif.OlympusFi.FocusInfoVersion              Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.OlympusFi.AutoFocus                     Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusFi.SceneDetect                   Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.SceneArea                     Long        8  0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2046824464
Exif.OlympusFi.SceneDetectData               Long      720  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Exif.OlympusFi.ZoomStepCount                 Short       1  31
Exif.OlympusFi.FocusStepCount                Short       1  556
Exif.OlympusFi.0x0302                        Short       1  4
Exif.OlympusFi.FocusStepInfinity             Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.FocusStepNear                 Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.FocusDistance                 Rational    1  8365/10
Exif.OlympusFi.0x0307                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.AFPoint                       Short       1  Left (or n/a)
Exif.OlympusFi.ExternalFlash                 Short       2  Off
Exif.OlympusFi.0x1202                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.ExternalFlashGuideNumber      SRational   1  0/1
Exif.OlympusFi.ExternalFlashBounce           Short       1  Bounce or Off
Exif.OlympusFi.ExternalFlashZoom             Rational    1  0/1
Exif.OlympusFi.0x1206                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.0x1207                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.InternalFlash                 Short       1  Off
Exif.OlympusFi.ManualFlash                   Short       2  Off 1
Exif.OlympusFi.0x120a                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.SensorTemperature             SShort      1  317
Exif.OlympusFi.0x1501                        Long        2  0 0
Exif.OlympusFi.0x1502                        Short       1  0
Exif.OlympusFi.ImageStabilization            Undefined  80  33 49 49 0 0 147 35
98 2 98 2 245 236 240 237 86 86 151 0 98 0 0 0 1 1 1
Exif.Photo.UserComment                       Undefined 125

Exif.Photo.FlashpixVersion                   Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.Photo.ColorSpace                        Short       1  sRGB
Exif.Photo.PixelXDimension                   Long        1  4032
Exif.Photo.PixelYDimension                   Long        1  3024
Exif.Photo.InteroperabilityTag               Long        1  686
Exif.Iop.InteroperabilityIndex               Ascii       4  R98
Exif.Iop.InteroperabilityVersion             Undefined   4  1.00
Exif.Photo.FileSource                        Undefined   1  Digital still camera
Exif.Photo.CustomRendered                    Short       1  Normal process
Exif.Photo.ExposureMode                      Short       1  Auto
Exif.Photo.WhiteBalance                      Short       1  Manual
Exif.Photo.DigitalZoomRatio                  Rational    1  1.0
Exif.Photo.SceneCaptureType                  Short       1  Standard
Exif.Photo.GainControl                       Short       1  High gain up
Exif.Photo.Contrast                          Short       1  Normal
Exif.Photo.Saturation                        Short       1  High
Exif.Photo.Sharpness                         Short       1  Normal
Exif.Image.PrintImageMatching                Undefined 528  (Binary value
suppressed)
Exif.Thumbnail.Compression                   Short       1  JPEG (old-style)
Exif.Thumbnail.XResolution                   Rational    1  72
Exif.Thumbnail.YResolution                   Rational    1  72
Exif.Thumbnail.ResolutionUnit                Short       1  inch
Exif.Thumbnail.JPEGInterchangeFormat         Long        1  13588
Exif.Thumbnail.JPEGInterchangeFormatLength   Long        1  4387