Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to setup a nameserver for a domain and I have been
> reading the DNS/Bind book from O'Reilly and I somehow got the
> private IP showing up when I try and ping from a remote site.
> Whenever I type in ping www.example.com, it tries to ping
> 192.168.1.20 instead of the external IP. I don't have this IP
> in my named.conf or example.com db file anywhere...anymore :).
> I have reloaded my named daemon and it reports no errors in
> the message log. How can I fix this so that it resolves to the
> correct IP?

You could check your DNS Server with "host" e.g.:
host www.example.com 127.0.0.1

That would query the nameserver on 127.0.0.1 (localhost) for the name
www.example.com.

If this reports the right IP:
Have you checked your /etc/hosts? Maybe you set your system to check
that first and you got the name there?

Just some thoughts from my side ...

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel