On 2012-08-29 11:42, Chris wrote:
Hi,

I've tried to search the lists but can't find anything, but please
point me to an existing resource if available.

I recently got a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 (3259-9VG) laptop and
would like to get the Wifi card running (fresh FreeBSD 9.0 install),
but I'm failling as it has been at least 5 years since I used with
wifi under FreeBSD. The card is not automatically detected (interface
not listed in ifconfig) so I'm assuming I have to either load a kernel
module or go the NDIS path. It seems like on Windows, the same driver
is used for E430, E435, E530 and E535, so in case anyone is using one
of these models, please let me know if have things running.

So some questions that might point me in the right direction:

- How can I find out which type of card this laptop actually has (can
I read it out of dmesg, some PCI listing or whatever)?
  All I can find are product sheets saying that it has 11b/g/n, but
doesn't help me to find a driver. I
  Is there some "meta-module" that loads all the native wifi drivers
that I can use that I can test?

There's a couple of different Wifi options for that machine, so which one you have may make a difference. There looks to be some information on identifying which card you have here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Wireless_Network_Adapters
(Though they don't have your model listed yet, I think it's a new model...)

I'm guessing you probably have a 'Thinkpad' card, which recently has been Realtek, but you'd have to check that. Note that replacing it with a generic mini-PCI wireless card may not work: Lenovo has been known to have their BIOS only recognize 'official' replacement parts.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.