On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

>         I'm not concerned about a file having been changed, just whether
>
>            % cp -rp /home/klinebak/foodir   /home/kline/
>
>         is 100% reliable.  down to the bit!

If "cp" is not reliable (down to the bit), then you have much bigger problems.

    On the other hand, hard drives do have uncorrectable errors and
they report the read operation as valid even though they returned bad
data. That is part of why ZFS was created and ported to FreeBSD, it
checksums the data so a bad bit coming from a drive does not corrupt a
file.

--
Paul Kraus