On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Robert Huff wrote:

Paul Schmehl writes:

 Does csup use subversion now?  Or do we need to use something
 else to fetch source?

        As I understand it, for the average user c(vs)up and subversion
serve the same function using different methods (both in terms of
identifying what files need to be fetched and actually fetching
them).  At this level of discussion they are mutually exclusive.
        I have switched from csup to subversion for ports and docs.
After modest preparation it was essentially painless.

The difference is that a local svn checkout has all the commit history. A comparison recently showed 700-some megabytes more space used by the svn checkout.

csup updates just the files that have changed without all the overhead. svn export can get a copy of all the current files, but it copies all of them every time, not just the changes.

An svnup program was under development, but I don't know the present status.