On 9/28/2012 3:08 PM, Jack Stone wrote:
I thought I had this figured out but discovered I have a BIG flaw with my .htaccess redirects After days of searching and experimenting, I still can't get this to do what I intended.

I have moved all of the content on a web site from the web root to a different directory. Now I need toredirect the URL requests from the old location to the new one. Instead of issuing a 301 error, I want to first redirect to an info page, let's call it "info.htm." Here's what I have now in the web root's .htaccess.

Here's the way it was/is:

~webroot/lots_of.html
....and now changed to this:
~webroot/content/lots_of.html

Using the apache mod_rewritein .htaccess
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule /~webroot/(.*\.html) /^info.htm [PT]

....which is supposed to redirect any page with the extension ".html" to the info.htm page. BUT, alas any "*.html page in any directory will redirect back to the info.htm page!! What I wanted is that only the "*.html pages in the ~webroot to be redirected to the info page.

I hope this make sense and I hope someone can give me a tip on how to limit the redirects to only the webroot pages.

Thanks in advance.....

For the above, now this works if I use the following:
RewriteBase /~webroot/
RewriteRule ^radio\.html$ /^info.htm [PT]
RewriteRule ^v20\.html$ /^info.htm [PT]

So, now if the above are requested:

http://www.webroot/content/radio.html it doesn't redirect to the info page. That's what I want, but there are 100s of "html" files in webroot/content and I figured there MUST be a way to wildcard the syntax, something like ^.*\.html$ so I don't need to list every specific html file.

I believe I'll have it if I can figure that out now.

Any thoughts?

All the best,
Jack