I am impatient by nature.

Nowadays, whenever I use portinstall/portupgrade, I use the --batch
option, so that I don't have to sit around at the console, waiting
for and then accepting the default build options for a boatload of
depended-upon ports for whatever I am actually trying to install or
upgrade.

However there's one instance where I don't know how to get this
functionality, i.e. the functionality provided by the --batch option.

On this page:

   http://cnsnap.cn.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/ports-using.html

in Section 4.5.4.2, a user who is just installing a new system is instructed
to do the following:

     # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade
     # make install clean

(You have to do this in order to get portinstall/portupgrade installed.
These tools can then be used to build & install other ports.)

The problem is that these days, portupgrade itself is, apparently,
dependent upon a whole slew of other ports.  So while building
portupgrade itself it appears that there is currently no escape from
having to sit at the console and accept a whole bunch of default
options for the whole bunch of other ports upon which portupgrade
itself depends.

Or is there?