On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:15:36PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 13:47:01 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 01:19:07PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > > On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:46:28 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > The disassembling can be done with
> > >
> > >   % pdfimages source.pdf .
> > >
> > > Then the files can be edited whatever tool you like, e. g. Gimp.
> > > They often come out in PBM format.
> > >

> >     A qstn I should have asked last time.  this book is a history or
> >     bio of richland county, ohio::  in type, it's like 650 or more
> >     pages.  SO: Is pdfimages going to spit of 6t50 files?  as noted
> >     in last email, only  a couple of these images are of any interest
>
> Depends on what actually _is_ in the PDF file. If every page is
> represented as a picture, 650 pictures will be created. If it
> contains text _and_ images, the images will be output, if will
> _only_ output the images, with no real realtion to where they
> have been placed in the text. As suggested by the name "pdfimages"
> it takes the images from the PDF file. :-)
>
> The easiest way to check for possible text is to install xpdf
> which brings the binary "pdftotext" (if I remember correctly that
> this tool is in _that_ package). You can then use it like this:
>
>       % pdftotext source.pdf
>
> It will create "source.txt" with all actual text (but of course
> without _any_ formatting except line breaks and ^L page breaks),
> including page numbers. But hey, it's pure ASCII text suitable
> for further processing. :-)
>
> Run "pdftotext" without parameters for a short summary of its
> parameters; "man pdftotext" is also provided.

        Well, then my original instincts were right.  I ran the
        pdftotext <file.pdf> and nothing but the page numbers were
        there.   rats.  oh-well, at least I can type in byhhand what
        I want:)

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.