On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 07:37:09 +0200 (CEST), Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> However, I like to keep the lines in the /etc/rc.conf file in the same
> order as they appear in the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file, and place
> local stuff (from /usr/local/etc/rc.d) in alphabetical order at the
> bottom of the file.

Slight deviation: I tend to group settings according to their
functionality (network, server stuff, console settings etc.),
and also have local additions at the end of the file. However,
FreeBSD also supports rc.conf.local to keep them.

The rc.conf file can be seen as a shell script, containing
variable assignments. It is that simple. It implies that you
can arrange everything (with newlines, comments, in groups,
as you wish) as long as it is valid shell syntax.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany