On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:04:17 -0800
mer...@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> >> Thanks for the clearification. One technical thing: is it possible, to
> >> upgrade
> >> from FreeBSD 9.0 to 9.1 with the freebsd-update utility?
>
> Andreas> Yes, it is.
>
> Can I go from 8.3 directly to 9.1, or should I stop over at 9.0 first?

Once 9.1 will be release soon, you will see something like that:
  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/installation.html

You should of course backup your data. I did an upgrade from 8.3 to 9.1-RC3
recently without problems. But keep in mind that you will have to recompile/
reinstall all installed ports. I usually delete all installed ports before
the upgrade to a new major version.

Andreas
--
GnuPG key  : 0x2A573565    |    http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/de/
Fingerprint: 925D 2089 0BF9 8DE5 9166  33BB F0FD CD37 2A57 3565