Can someone kindly explain what is going on here:

Machine A:  FreeBSD - was running 8, just upgraded to 9.1-PRE
            (I don't recall seeing the behavior described below
             in V8, but then, I don't think I ever tried it).

Machine B:  Linux Mint Desktop

- Machine A acts as an NFS server for Machine B.

- Machine A exports a particular directory like this:

   /usr/foo  -maproot=myid     -network ...

- /usr/foo/bar is owned by root on Machine A and has files therein
  owned as root:root with permissions of 600.

- If I access /usr/foo/bar/file1 from Machine B, I cannot read it
  but - and this is the part I don't get - I CAN *rename* it.

What's going on?  Since /foo/bar/ is owned by root and everything
in it is 600 root:root, I would not expect a remote access to allow
things like renaming.  Clearly I am missing something here, but I
don't get it.