On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Olivier Nicole <olivier.nic...@cs.ait.ac.th
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Few weeks ago I upgraded many systems from 7.4 to 8.3 and since I feel
> that everyting has got much slower:
>
> - connecting a new shell takes 5 secnds between the password and the
>   first promt;
>
> - imap got slower to the point imp/horde times out
>
> - amanda back-up will not complete
>
> - etc.
>
> I don;t know what to look for to correct this.
>
> TIA,

Hello Olivier,

I run several 8.3 boxes and nothing is slow on them. And I do all this
remotely. Well, they don't run Amanda, but they run everything else -
POP3/IMAP4, webmail, SMTP, spamfilter, virusfilter, DNS, gateway, firewall,
proxy... etc.

I'd like to think you've kinds messed up something with name resolution...
could be DNS (/etc/resolv.conf) or even /etc/hosts changes of you don't run
a local resolver.

Also, I'd like to mention that My boxes were running 6.x before I upgraded
them to 7.8, then to 8.x using instructions from
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/. I have one box that I upgraded
from 8.x->9.x as well, as a test to the instructions ~rse made, which led
to the fixing of certain small bits in the instructions. I can tell you
that the instructions are rock-solid.

Anyway, I suggest start figuring out of name resolution works first...

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,